Buying, insuring and licence plating a RV in the U.S. If you are a visitor.

by Sharday
(England, Shropshire )

I am a 27 year old, British resident. I am planning a 3 month trip to USA next year, possibly going on to spend 3 on Canada before returning home. The plan is to buy an afordable 2nd hand campervan, between $2000 - $5000 (something with a small shower, kitchenette and bed), I think you would call them Class C?
However I would need to insure it with an American company to drive it, as well as get the licence plate for it.
Could you give me any information about how I might go about getting the plate and insuring an RV for this length on time and what kind of price i would be looking to pay for the insurance I would need.
And anything I would require to insure it. For example, would my international drivers license since be suffciant, or would I need to apply for an American drivers licence?
I have an American friends address I am able to use if needed.

Does anyone know what process I'm likely to have to take?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing your reply.

Comments for Buying, insuring and licence plating a RV in the U.S. If you are a visitor.

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 13, 2015
Vehicle Insurance
by: Marianne Edwards

It's my understanding that (at least here in Canada) a vehicle can only be insured in the name of the registered owner. As long as they've opted for a policy that allows other drivers (most do), coverage includes any licensed driver who has the owner's permission to drive it.

If your friend is buying the vehicle expressly for you, he may want to be upfront about that fact with the insurance company and actually list you as a second driver on the policy. That ensures there's no question you are covered if there's a claim. Especially a major one when they will look for reasons to deny payment.

I know European drivers licences are generally acceptable for rental vehicles without a problem but for a privately owned vehicle, it's best to check with the insurance company.

Sep 13, 2015
by: Cheshire Cats Capers

Sorry we have no idea you would need to check with either your friend or your own insurance company.

Have a great trip.

Sep 10, 2015
by: Schwartz

We have decided that we will pay my friend the money to buy, register and license plate the RV in his name to make things simpler.
How ever could I still insure that RV in my name or as a name driver on my UK driving license for a 3 or 6 month period ( as we plan maybe to spend 3 months in Canada also)


Sep 10, 2015
We recommend Escapees
by: Cheshire Cats Capers

The Escapees website is a very useful place for information and plenty of overseas travelers (us included) are members. We have everything registered and insured at Escapees in Livingston, Texas. Texas is a very RV friendly state.

If you are planning to use your friends address they should be able to help you with licensing, insurance requirements etc. in their state.

As visitor to the US you are not eligible to have a US driving license, we drive on our UK license.

For insurance we use and would recommend Marlene at Miller RV Insurance, in Lake Oswego, Oregon.

Hope this helps and have a fabulous trip.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to FAQ Invitation.

Copyright© 2021
All tips and advice on this web site are purely the personal opinion of the author who assumes no responsibility or liability for any consequences resulting from following said advice.