Contact | About | Blog | Boondockers Welcome

Canadians using Montana LLC's

We are thinking of purchasing a Class A motorhome in Nevada. We live in Eastern Canada. Does anyone have any experience or advise on how we can license this vehicle in the USA. We have been reading about the Montana LLC, but questioning
1) Can we drive the RV into Canada, if just for 2 week vacation.
2) Can we have the toad with Canadian plates, and the RV with Montana plates

Comments for Canadians using Montana LLC's

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 30, 2019
I would have gone with
by: Anonymous

Nov 08, 2015
Montana LLCs for Canadians
by: Anonymous

Many Canadians use this service and they're right across the border:

There's a bunch of Canadian FAQ's here:

Jul 17, 2015
Canadians Using an LLC for RV Registration
by: Anonymous

My wife and I are from Alberta and have for some time studied the options of buying a motorhome in the US. Texas, Florida and South Dakota all have very similar approaches to "non-resident" application to gain "domicile" status. Taxes are different and there are some extra requirements that each of these states have. For Canadians based on the three year average we are allowed to stay in the US for approximately 4 months each year. This is mainly to stay below the IRS radar. The next hurdle is a US Drivers Licence. In any of the states I have described we must surrender our Canadian DLs and apply for a state DL. In all states the maximum each state will give a Canadian is based on the allowable visa which is 6 months.
Considering an LLC the issue for Canadian is mainly the restriction of bring the RV into Canada as the CBSA most times will air on the side of importation of a US vehicle. I understand through the insurance agent in Montana that Mexico will not have the same approach. The Montana LLC allows the driver to remain using his/her DL. However, be aware some US states require a non commercial DL as weight then exceeds the limit of the regular class 5 for Canada. Unless you own property in a US state outside of Montana there could be some tax implications

Nov 24, 2014
Registering in South Dakota
by: Jane

We are Australian and registered our truck and 5th Wheel in South Dakota with Alternative Resources, they have just changed their name to DakotaPost. We stayed in an RV park close by to get our "residency" that they can recommend to you, then my husband got his SD drivers licence for $20, it only lasted six months as this is the length of time we can stay in the States for any period. We just let it lapse and use an International licence, but mainly just our Australian licence. There is an insurance company next door to the postal service and they will type up the form for you to travel in Canada each year. The insurance is cheaper than a lot of other states. Just call Alternative Resources and ask them how it is all done, they are very helpful. Sales tax in SD on vehicles is 3% I think. Tel: +1 1800 477 2664. Apparently the LLC in Montana is very easy though and there is no sales tax on the purchase.

Nov 17, 2014
Living in canada, working in the US?
by: Anonymous

As for the legal issues with Canada I am not sure but to know for fact you can registrar in Montana and then travel through Canada.
As to Marianne she is right in one part of the residence issue, but how this is resolved when you go to Montana (or a couple of other states) is you form corporation and then you will have a legal address to have you registration and insurance runs through. So the issue of state residency is then taken away.
I know of at least 6 people who have done this (and I am looking at it at this time myself)and it works just fine, and all that do it are very happy and travel all over the country with out any type of issue at all.
So please check you issue with regards to the laws of having a corporation in a different country, and that should help answer your questions.

Nov 17, 2014
Escapees RV Club and North Dakota home state
by: Marianne

When you mention North Dakota it brought Escapees RV Club to mind. They are THE BEST resource for full time RVers with no stationary home. They're currently setting up a new mail-forwarding service for US Citizens who want to claim N.D as their home state. I believe it's a great state for tax purposes and the state has such a low population that they welcome the revenue and leave legal loopholes for this purpose. Doubt that a Canadian can use it, but, if you're an Escapee member, it's worth checking into. If not, now's a good time to join. They have a half-price membership special.

Nov 17, 2014
Register in South Dakota
by: Anonymous

I don't know if this would work for Canadians, but we live in the U.S. Virgin Islands, are U.S. citizens, have Virgin Islands driver's licenses, and own a camper we keep in Connecticut. We registered it through an agency in South Dakota called Alternative Resources. There are several of them that you'd likely find on the Internet. Our camper has South Dakota plates on it. No inspection is needed in South Dakota, and this company handled all the registration details. It was a bit of a process and we had to get papers notorized but eventually it got done. We just got notice that we need to reregister because the year is up, and they are handling that too. This company is also a mail forwarding service if you need that.

Nov 16, 2014
Rent from LLC?
by: Anonymous

Another option might be showing a rental contract at the border for use of the RV from the LLC. I'm not sure how this would work though. I do know that some of the car rental agencies in the U.S, such as Enterprise, specifically state that the vehicles rented in the U.S. cannot be used for travel into Canada, which makes me think there may be some legal issue with that type of arrangement.

Nov 16, 2014
by: Marianne

Woops. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Nov 16, 2014
Just a typo
by: JBK

MO is the abbreviation for Missouri not Montana which I think is MT

Nov 16, 2014
Register/plating motorhome in USA
by: Marianne

As far as I know, you cannot licence a vehicle in any state without proof of residency in that state. If you qualify (own property or live in MO part of the year) you should be able to register/plate it there. In that case, driving into Canada for a few weeks or towing a vehicle registered in a different state or province shouldn't be an issue. It may cause extra questions at the border, however. Registering one vehicle under your traveling partner's name (if applicable) might help.

I don't know of any other way around the issue of residency. If you plan to import and plate it in Canada, be sure it meets Registrar of Imported Vehcile requirements before you buy. Not all motorhomes/vehicles do.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to FAQ Invitation.

Copyright© 2017
All tips and advice on this web site are purely the personal opinion of the author who assumes no responsibility or liability for any consequences resulting from following said advice.